Wednesday, June 29, 2005

 

More great moments in teaching

First of all, I give myself like three more years before I get arrested for doing something completely reprehensible to or with a student. Knowing me, it'll probably be some form of sexual harassment, but I can also totally see the possibility of me bribing my students to become my hired goons.

With that in mind, let me share with you another one of my personal Great Moments in Teaching.

Student comes in to see me to discuss student's paper. I like Student, and friendly chatter ensues. I am aware of the fact that all of my students are, at this point, doubly burdened: they are attempting to finish a novel and simultaneously produce working final drafts of their text-analysis essays. So I casually ask Student how Student is coming along on the reading portion of the week's work.

"Oh, I finished the novel this morning," says Student.

My black little heart is warmed by this revelation, and I congratulate Student, adding, "Isn't the ending of that novel depressing? I mean, every time I read it, I'm so emotionally worn out that I feel like I've been beaten. By the time you're done, don't you just want to kill yourself?"

Student laughs a little, agreeing that the novel is indeed not a happy one, and the two of us proceed to the matter of Student's paper. About two minutes later, I have a horrible realization.

Wait a minute, my dim reptilian brain kicks in as it slowly begins to process all relevant information. Student is the student who was out of class for a few weeks because of severe depression.

Fortunately, Student did not commit suicide as a result of our conversation, although one of my officemates that it really wouldn't have been a problem if that had happened.

"It's just good pedagogy," he said. "You're just trying to keep class size down."

Indeed.
Comments:
Hey,

Might not remember me from Aardwolf, but I've been poring over you blog and I have to say, you are as talented as I remember you being. I am incredibly impressed with your style :). I shall be visiting your blog more often.

I do have a suggestion for you. I think, maybe you could write a collection of short stories, anecdotes, and maybe even a novela on the humorous downfalls of academia, education, and teaching children. It could go over very well!

Anyway, I hope you login to the mud more,
Strawberry Milkshake
 
As a high school chemistry teacher, I once had a student who missed an extended amount of time for a suicide attempt. When she returned and expressed concern about an upcoming test, I reassured her by saying, "Oh, don't worry, I've got a study guide and will show you everything you need to know. It's nothing to kill yourself over." I don't know where that came from, I don't think I've ever used that phrase in my life.

Needless to say, I'm now an administrator. ;)

Nice blog.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?