Sunday, December 09, 2007

 

Grad students are poor.

The CowardlyAcademe does not usually buy red meat; this is not out of some sort of moral feeling or health concern, but because chicken, fish, and tofu are cheaper. I also tend to buy whatever I've been craving lately, as I feel that such cravings are likely the result of malnutrition. If I wake up slavering over tomatoes, that's probably a sign.

So a few nights ago, my housemate had cut up some steak in the kitchen, left it marinating in something or other, and left the room. While I was there preparing my own dinner (rice and beans), my eyes were repeatedly drawn to the raw meat sitting on the cutting board. It looked . . . so . . . delicious.

It called to me.

I guiltily filched a chunk and ate it.

Let me say that again: I STOLE AND DEVOURED RAW MEAT.

And it was FUCKING GREAT. I wanted more. I wanted to eat the side off a cow while it was still moving.

I have decided, I hope wisely, that this was an indication that I may need more iron in my diet. I blew ten bucks the following night on steak and spinach. I even cooked the steak. I'm back in tofu/rice/beans land now, but by god, I had a glorious moment of pure carnality.
Comments:
The raw meat part of this is disconcerting. Iron is important, though. Do you take a multivitamin? I try to do that since the grad school diet sucks so bad.

Foods with lots-o-iron include: egg yolks, raisins, beans, lentils, liver, artichokes, collards, and of course spinach and red meat.
 
If you need more iron in your diet, try frying eggs in a cast iron skillet. Skillets aren't that expensive, and eggs are cheep.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?